Monday, March 1, 2010

Goldfinches

We have had so many goldfinches this winter! I don’t think I remember ever having so many. They are eating us outa house and home! We thought there were lots out there, and sure ‘nuff, we've counted upwards of 3 dozen at a time.

And they’re sloppy little birds, spilling at least as much as they eat. The squirrels like that, though, and spend all morning hoovering up after them.  :)

They are such petite little birds. I think they’re smaller than any other birds we see, although the chickadees are pretty small, too. In one of my cat mysteries, goldfinches are referred to as “wild canaries”. Isn’t that cool?

Like the juncos, we only see them in the winter. You know, that was true when we lived in San Antonio, too. I wonder where they are the rest of the year?

So now that it’s March, you’d think we’d have nicer weather, but it is still so chilly here. My daffodils and tulips have sprouted, so surely someday the seasons will change and it will be warm again. Of course, before we know it, we’ll be complaining about how hot it is. Ha!

Gosh, that’s hard to imagine, given the winter we’ve had. But I should enjoy the good sleeping weather while I still can. Winter may be cold, but in many ways, it is Rest. A break from bugs and noisy yard crews... Soon it will be planting and yard work season and tornado season!

Yikes!!!

XOXO,
Lucky Dog



No comments:

Post a Comment