Monday, April 12, 2010

Zentangles

I can’t believe I’m just now blogging about Zentangles! We had a program at our calligraphy guild meeting month before last, and we have had more fun learning how to make these!

Zentangles are sort of like doodling, although its creators, Rick and Maria, would probably be a little horrified at such a simplistic explanation. This method, though, is a little more structured than mindless doodling, with a lot more emphasis on its meditative aspect. (The “zen” part of Zentangles.)

There is an official website, and they have a blog, a kit, and lots of archived newsletters with instructions for new “tangles”, AKA patterns. www.zentangle.com

They embrace a philosophy of creation, deliberateness, and possibilities. (Their website says it better than I can!)

In fact, the whole process is one of multiple small strokes that result in a complicated look. So their logo or motto is:

The elements are simple and very easy for everyone. Kids and adults alike enjoy the focused process, and you don’t have to be an artist-type at all. After all, most people enjoy some form of doodling naturally.

Here are two of my latest Zentangle creations. I have also tried shading them with a Tria marker instead of a pencil, and have really enjoyed the look. It’s kinda more contemporary than shading with a pencil, but I like to do both.


There are lots of blogs on the Internet that feature zentangles, if you’re interested, and they’re easy to “google” and find. But none (to me) compare with the beauties that Maria posts on their official blog. I just love seeing hers--they’re so 3-D and organic.

http://zentangle.blogspot.com/

ANYway, so there’s another thing to get addicted to.
I mean, enjoy. Ha-ha!

XOXO,
Lucky Dog


No comments:

Post a Comment