Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Workshop Weekend

Well, I am coming down from my high, catching up on my sleep, and basically, slowly recovering from a jam-packed fabulously fun weekend….!!!  :)

It began with a Sunday School party on Friday night: a potluck with a Mexican theme. Talk about good food. Wow. And good Mexican food. I made my corn-avocado salsa that I copied from CafĂ© 501’s Santa Fe sandwich.

Yup. Good food, good friends, and good times.

Then on Saturday and Sunday, I attended a 2-day workshop taught by Linda Schneider. Linda is from Spokane, Washington and came to teach our calligraphy guild a workshop on “Ornate Pictorial Calligraphy”.

It was so much fun! Some of it even piggy-backed on the Zentangles program from the other month, so how perfect is that? And the material we learned on Sunday was even cooler, because we used a pointed pen, with all of the grace of its thicks and thins.

Here is a sample of what I did on Saturday with Micron markers:



And this is from Sunday, working with the pointed pen:

(Practicing these Christmas trees really helps!)

And isn’t that a cute little dress, just in time for Prom?

I have yet to try Saturday’s content with the pointed pen, but I think that will be the next experiment for Studio Time. (!)

And then last night was our regular monthly guild meeting, and Linda also graciously agreed to give the program. She gave a mini-version of some of the material from Saturday, especially Saturday morning--which was particularly handy for me, since I had missed it!

Yes, you see, for the first time ever, I overslept and was late for the workshop on Saturday morning. Horrors!! I set the alarm right (a.m., not p.m., or the usual mistakes), and the best we can figure is that I actually slept right through the alarm.

I never sleep well during a workshop (from all the excitement), but good grief, I’ve never been late to one!! Mr. Engineer-Man checked it out, and said the alarm actually only beeps for 60 seconds, so the best we can figure is that I must’ve finally gotten in some good sleep phase and just didn’t hear it.

Obviously I set 2 alarms for Sunday morning! Ironically, though, I didn’t need either one of them, because I woke up almost every 30 minutes during the night, wondering what time it was, hoping I hadn’t overslept again. Sigh and aarrgghh!

Thank goodness, I am used to feeling like sludge at a workshop, because I definitely had sludge for brains. Fortunately, there’s always enough chocolate and caffeine at workshops to get me through! Haha

You know, there’s a reason I’ve been a Workshop Junkie for 30 years… Workshops are so special.

They are a slice of set-aside time, spent with precious people of like minds, meeting new friends and bonding closer with old, studying and learning something new, and having the opportunity to put aside your real life for 2 days and enjoy being in a wonderful atmosphere of creativity and growth. It’s fabulous. I love it every time, regardless of the subject matter, and despite a lack of sleep!

And this workshop was no different... It was magic!!!

XOXO,
Lucky Dog


No comments:

Post a Comment