Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tomato Season!



It’s nearly the 4th of July, which generally means: 
our tomatoes are ripening!

As previously mentioned on this blog,
I decided to grow my tomatoes in pots this year,
and have really enjoyed it.

I must be crazy, though, to try to keep a vine upright.
Really.

(I do use a lot of tomato tape.)



And I guess I hadn’t been very good at monitoring the vines,
because 2 branches fell from the weight of the tomatoes
on them, and tore away from their main stems.

Phooey!!

Instead of throwing them in the trash,
I stuck them in a jar of water.

And believe it or not, 
I've even harvested a couple of tomatoes from them.

“Never surrender! Never say die!”
LOL


The vines have outgrown the tomato ladders (supports),
so I’m not sure what will happen next.

I had hoped they would all grow on top of each other for support,
so we’ll see.

If I remember correctly,
they’ll kinda self-destruct in a few weeks, anyway.

Who knows?
It’s been over 100° 4 times already.

When it gets that hot, 
sometimes the tomatoes seem to cook right on the vine. 
At the very least, their skin gets a little tough. 

But that’s okay! 
It doesn’t stop us from popping them right in our mouths!


I counted 46 tomatoes on this little saucer.
I’m growing Sweet 100’s.

And there were about 6 more that were turning color,
but I left them on the vine until tomorrow. 

Gotta ration the fun!

It’s not like a few years ago, 
when Mr. Man actually picked 400 tomatoes on the 4th of July!!
Every year is different. And that’s most of the fun.

And I think I will do the container gardening again next year. 
It’s worked out really well.

If you have a spot of sunshine, even if it’s on your driveway, 
you could try it, too!


“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts 
while eating a homegrown tomato.”
-- Lewis Grizzard

XOXO,
Lucky Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment