Monday, June 2, 2014

Meddlesome Maria


There was another thing that my grandmother used to recite, and I’ve only heard it one other place.  And of all places, it was on the old Andy Griffith show on TV. 

Here’s a link to a video of Ernest T. Bass “serenading” Charlene with it.  Old Aunt Maria video

My grandmother’s version was almost just like it, all things considered. 

When I googled it, I also got hits for jump rope rhymes and songs.  Who knows where or when my grandmother heard it? 
 
It was just one of those fun things that rhymed.

Apologies if I remember it wrong... 
It has been more than a few decades.


Meddlesome Mariah jumped in the fire.
The fire was so hot, she jumped in the pot.
The pot was so black, she jumped in the crack.
The crack was so high, she jumped in the sky.
The sky was so blue, she jumped in a canoe.
The canoe was so shallow, she jumped in the tallow.
The tallow was so soft, she jumped in the loft.
The loft was so rotten, she jumped in the cotton.
The cotton was so white, she stayed there all night.

♥ ♥ ♥




No comments:

Post a Comment