Thursday, June 19, 2014

Knitting from the Inside Out


Well, I was surfing on Ravelry the other day, 
and this beauty caught my eye:


It is a stunning pattern called “Girasole”, by Jared Flood.  

The pattern can be made two ways:  
a shawl, or a larger blanket version.

Well, I don’t think I have the skill set
to attempt such a project yet, 
so I found a simpler version of a circular shawl to try first:



That’s kinda how I rock and roll.

I try things out first, and work my way up,
usually with spare yarn so I can see how it goes. 

Sometimes I don’t even enjoy knitting the experiment,
and that’s good to know before
you go buy the expensive yarn for the real project.

It’s also just fun to try something new. 

So inbetween my beloved lace projects,
I thought I’d see what knitting a circular shawl would be like.

So!  First I had to learn a circular cast on.

Boy, is that easier said than done!

Most knitting projects, like hats, start with the outer edge
and decrease down to the point,
ending with just a few stitches. 

That’s not the case with this project. 
It starts in the middle and grows outward.

That’s kind of unusual for knitting. 
(But extremely easy to do if you’re crocheting.)

So off to the Internet I went.

I found some instructions, and even some videos,
and struggled with those for the better part of the afternoon.
<oy> 

It had been awhile since I had used double pointed needles,
and they felt so “fiddly”! 

(My lace is so easy -- why am I doing this again??)

I struggled with many different attempts and yarns,
trying the same thing over and over
(and NOT getting different results!),

until finally I finally bailed, went back to the Internet,
and found a different way to begin:
Emily Ocker's Circular Cast On

Oh, joy!  Success at last!

And here is the little bit that I have knitted so far. 


And the hole in the middle really did disappear!

And now I am beyond the first few rows,
which on double pointed needles,
are usually the most difficult.

Let’s face it… 
The first few rows of anything are always the most difficult. 

Even back when I was into weaving delica beads into fabric,
it was very trying until I got a few rows done. 

And that’s true with knitting, too.  

After it gets going, you have enough there
for the fabric to relax a bit,
and then things aren’t so awkward or nerve wracking.

So, will I finish this “trial” circular shawl??
Will I ever attempt the Girasole shawl??

I have no idea…

But I’m having fun!

XOXO,
Lucky Dog




No comments:

Post a Comment