Thursday, May 28, 2015

Whew!


What a crazy day! 

I woke up to my male cat doing this:


He was still there two hours later,
and I did not want to know what he was doing. 
Or hearing.  Or seeing.

It couldn’t be good.


Later, when I was in the next room, I heard crazy noises, like someone was trying to break into the house.  I knew somehow, though, that the cat was in the middle of it.

Sure enough, he was now in the Mud Room, looking behind the door. 

Great.  Whatever it is must’ve made a run for it, thus all the noise when the cat pursued.

I moved the door shut to show the cat that there wasn’t anything there, and there it was -- a baby mouse!!!

Merciful heavens!  We’ve never had a mouse inside our home before.  Like, ever!

Oh, my mind went to thinking of all the places in our house he could hide where I could never get him out if he got into the main house again.  

How could I trap him or at least keep him in the Mud Room?

First of all, you have to understand that there is a gap of over an inch between the Mud Room door and the floor.  So just closing the door and leaving him in there and waiting for Mr. Man to come home wasn’t going to work.

Fortunately, we had a big box in the Garage that I found to use as a trap.  I taped the flaps up, prayed first, took a deep breath, and essentially shoved the box against the mouse and baseboard.

Thank heavens he froze when I did all that, and he just got scooped up into the box and I was able to carry it out back, where I released him in the woods behind our house.

Then I came in and poured myself an ice cold Root Beer and let my adrenaline calm down.

The cat took longer.  He stared at the door for a good 20 minutes and then slept it off all afternoon. 

Who knows how long he had been the best Hunter ever??

XOXO,
Lucky Dog

p.s.  So sorry I didn’t get a photo of the little thing.  Taking a photo for the blog didn’t really pop into my mind at the moment.  He was cute, though, and looked just like the little mouse I found in the deer corn bucket that day.  (link)



No comments:

Post a Comment