Saturday, July 5, 2014

Still Reading through the OT



Well, I hope everyone had a happy 4th!  We did, and I must say, the fireworks were the best ever!

So…  I may not talk about it very often, but I am still reading through the Old Testament out loud.

Why out loud?  Because I know that if I don’t, I’ll end up skimming it, read it too fast, check out mentally, and not really “get it”.

Back when I was studying Cobol, that probably-now-ancient computer language, “once upon a time, in a land far far away” (that is to say, it feels like that was at least a couple of lifetimes ago!!),  I really learned it solid when I read my chapters out loud.  (And I was the only one to make a 100 on the exam, so it must’ve worked!)

The Old Testament, with all its genealogies and all, seemed like it would be very easy for me to rush through.  I mean, if I’m going to do it, I should do it right.  Thus, the decision to read it out loud.

And I’m reading The New Living Translation version of the Bible.  I usually prefer the New American Standard Bible, but I thought I’d go for something super-readable to keep it fresh.

(But I am using the Bill Bright edition, because you know how I am about having those capital H’s for His or Him!!  LOL)

Anyway, I am thrilled to report that I finally finished reading 2 Chronicles!!!

I feel like I’m past the “hump” and going downhill, whether I really am or not.

Actually, things will probably get a bit more difficult to understand from here on out.  I mean, as long as I’m reading The Story part, the history stuff, I’m pretty okay.  You know, Adam through, oh, say, Solomon. 

But the prophetic books, full of references and places and events that I’m not familiar with??  Those books should probably be studied, not just read.

But, I only have so much time.  And while I’m happy to be reading through the OT, I think I’ll save my study time for the New Testament.  It’s more practical and helpful for your everyday walk, don’tcha think?  J

So I will press on.  And to help me, I made a chart.  (!!)


It's a lovely list where every day I can check off a box with my pretty little markers.  I just love checking things off my To Do List, and I thought this would be just the ticket.

But. 
You know what really helped me??

Reading my OT chapter with my morning coffee.


Duh!!!  Good grief, I’m so slow, but at least I finally get there!

I wish I could say that I made the connection on my own, but I didn’t.  I was reminded by a wonderful Bible pastor, Blake Gideon, who, in a sermon online, was encouraging everyone to have a morning devotional -- and he said that every morning he gets his coffee and his Bible, and off he goes. 

You know… Every habit that I’ve ever gotten to stick was one where I tied it to something I was already doing.  Like, tying “flossing my teeth” to watching the weather report on the news, or something like that. 

So, reading the Bible with my morning coffee it is!

And now I’m reading in Ezra.  And they are rebuilding the Temple after coming back home to Jerusalem, after being exiled in Babylon.

Okay..  So far, so good.  J

XOXO,
Lucky Dog





No comments:

Post a Comment