Thursday, October 10, 2013

From Homemade to Handmade


Well, it happened again.  
I keep learning things the hard way when I knit!

So I began knitting that Basket Weave Scarf for Mr. Man,
you know, and soon I realized: 

the edges were all so bumpy!


I was following the pattern all right,
but they didn’t have any provision
for making the edges pretty.

It didn’t bother Mr. Man, but it bothered me. 
And after awhile, I just couldn’t stand it anymore. 

So off to the Internet I went, searching for help.

I wasn’t sure if I could just add an edge, or what,
so I looked on Ravelry for a pattern that could help me out. 

Unfortunately most of them were just like the one I was using. 

Boo…

Then I used Mr. Google and, voilà,
I found someone who addressed the edge treatment
that she used on her basket weave scarf pattern.  (!)

She adds 2 stitches to the pattern,
one on each end of the row. 

She slips the first one purlwise,
and knits the last one on the row.

This makes for a very lovely “chain” edge on your scarf,
which looks so nice and professional. 

It’s those kind of details that can take something
from “homemade” to “handmade”.   ♥♥♥

So, off to unravel again!

But in all my researching, I also found
a basket weave pattern that included 2 knit rows
in the pattern repeat. 

Ooh, I was happy about that…

You see, the Basket Weave Scarf is just a lot of knits and purls. 
You knit 4 and then you purl 4,
and then you knit 4 and purl 4. 

And so on and so on. 

And when you switch back and forth
between those two stitches so much,
things just got a bit floppy to me.

This knit row is just the ticket to “cinch” things up
every once in awhile.

So, I tried the pattern with these 2 changes
and it works out great!


And along with a pretty edge,
my new pattern even makes the scarf reversible.
That is, the pattern is the same on both sides.

How great is that??

So, whether it’s knitting or whatever you’re into these days,
persevere!  Don’t settle!

As homemaker/cooking TV star, Beverly Nye, would say: 
“You’ll be so glad you did!” 

XOXO,
Lucky Dog


No comments:

Post a Comment