Monday, August 19, 2013

Unraveled



Sometimes when you knit, 
you find that a project just doesn’t do it for you anymore.


Probably the pattern and the yarn 
aren’t well suited for each other, and you can sense it.

I found that I disliked how loose this shawl was knitting up, 
and realized that I should quit “forging ahead”, 
and just do something about it.

So, I made the decision to unravel it.

It is a big decision, after all. 


But I knew I would be happier 
if I began again on smaller needles, 
and perhaps use an easier stitch.  

Life is too short.

Non-knitters are usually horrified 
to see all that work being unraveled.  haha

They see it as time wasted, I guess.  
I don’t.  I figure I’m knitting anyway.  

But I’m also thrilled that I can unravel if I want to.  
Or if I need to.

You see, in my other life I am a lettering artist.  A calligrapher.


If you get to the bottom of a page of calligraphy 
and you misspell a word, there’s no unraveling.
  
And rarely can you “erase” a mistake in lettering 
without the paper looking too damaged to continue.  
(because you use a razor blade)

So I think it’s a glorious thing to be able to 
UN-do my knitting and do something else with the yarn!

And most yarns are very forgiving, 
and let you use them again and again.  

(Now Rowan Kidsilk Haze can be tricky, 
especially at the ends of rows, 
but I have unknitted quite a bit of it, too.)

J


So now I can start fresh and make something else with this yarn.

Perhaps a simple garter stitch shawl.  Nice and mindless.  
Every knitter needs a mindless project in her collection of WIPs. 
(Works in Progress)  


Besides, I need something to balance all that lace knitting! 
LOL

XOXO,
Lucky Dog





No comments:

Post a Comment