Friday, September 24, 2010

A Bit of Whimsy



Well, I had such fun in the studio today, I just had to come and share my little piecelet with you that I created today.

But I guess I have to make somewhat of a confession while I’m here.  While I love all sorts of styles of art, the booths and the pieces that I have started gravitating to lately are those belonging to the *whimsical* variety.

The older I get, the more I love CoLoRfuL pieces that make me smile.  I don’t know why -- I just know to go with it.

And while I practice very serious historical calligraphy, and also make pieces with my own handprinting…  And as much as I LOVE-with-a-capital-L painting my new nebula series… I have found myself yearning to make some whimsical pieces, too.  

Whimsical = playful, fanciful, light-hearted, cheerful, amusing, fun

And after surfing on the Internet and reading all sorts of blogs and drooling over tons of great art out there, I went into the studio prepared to play. 

Soon I was doodling with my Micron pens and watercolor pencils and having a wonderful time! 

Although, truth be told, my watercolor squares looked a bit insipid, so I added a layer of Panpastel color to each.  It not only strengthened them, but imparted the nicest velvety quality.  ♥

And at the very end, I decided that a grey shadow line inside and outside the frame (made with a Tria marker) was just the ticket.  Isn’t it nice with these things all come together?  :)

“Become who you are”.  And I am trying. 

It’s hard to release all the “shoulds”, but I’m trying.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

XOXO,
Lucky Dog


No comments:

Post a Comment