Sunday, August 19, 2012

Scripture Stones


Deuteronomy 27: 2-3

“When you cross the Jordan River
and enter the land the Lord your God is giving you,
set up some large stones and coat them with plaster.
Write this whole body of instruction on them …”

Am I the only one who doesn’t remember this??

How huge must those stones have been,
to hold even 25 chapters of Deuteronomy??

Well, I think I am very glad that I was not a scribe back then.
I don’t think I’ve ever done any calligraphy on plaster before.
Maybe it’s like white gesso..

I mean, was there scaffolding involved? 
How tall were these stones?
How many of them were there?
And what happened to them?

And how did they make the ink waterproof? 
I mean, you wouldn’t want a rainstorm to erase all your work.

Perhaps an egg tempera or casein paint made from milk? 
I’m not sure they’re really 100% waterproof, though. 

Maybe they etched it in, like engraving. 
Carved the letters into the plaster?  Hmmm…..

You know, there’s a lot in the Old Testament
that just gets lost in all the trees, as it were.

I guess that’s why I’m re-reading it!

XOXO,
Lucky Dog


No comments:

Post a Comment