Thursday, May 14, 2015

Picot Bind Off



Well, I did decide to go with the Picot Bind Off.

I tried it out on a little swatch and thought it looked nice.  It yields a border that goes well with the visual weight of the shawl and it wasn’t difficult to do at all.

I think it just freaks people out that it takes awhile.  I counted, and you do have to do 10 steps to bind off only 2 stitches.  That’s just gonna take some time, I don’t care who you are!

And you’ve already invested all this time (and hopefully some beautiful luxury yarn) into knitting the lace shawl, what’s another day or two?

(The way they talked on Ravelry, I expected it to take me a week!  LOL)

I really wanted to try it out at least once and see for myself, so I did.  It takes a lot of yarn, so I did a bit of calculating and knew I had enough, so, <whew!>

I like what the designer, Bev, said:  “The bind off is worth it, I promise!  My last one was huge, but I broke it down into pattern blocks:  bind off three pattern blocks, then empty the dishwasher, bind off another three, then fill dishwasher again, bind off another three, then clean the bathroom …   I finished it within a day and did so much housework.  Both activities seemed like a treat, as they were a break from the other.”

Now, I’m not as fast as she is, it took me longer than a day -- but I agree with her about alternating activities.  That really helped.  She is one sharp cookie.  And a brilliant designer.  I can’t wait to knit another one of her patterns.  (!)

Now!  Onto blocking!

XOXO,
Lucky Dog






No comments:

Post a Comment